- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 60g finely minced red onion
- 30g finely minced red peppers
- 2 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 25g sliced bamboo shoots
- 25g finely chopped celery
- 300g chopped chicken breast
- 60ml soy sauce
- 125g julienned green cabbage
- 60g shredded carrots
- 1L rice bran oil or vegetable oil
- 12 spring roll wrappers
- 2 avocados, sliced into 24 pieces
- 1 egg mixed with 1 tbsp milk
- Jarred sweet chilli sauce, for dipping
1) Put the rapeseed oil in a saute pan over a high heat. Saute the red onions and peppers until translucent. Add the ginger, garlic, bamboo shoots, celery and chicken and cook for 5 minutes over a medium heat. Deglaze the pan with the soy sauce and then cool the mixture.
2) In a large bowl combine the cabbage, carrots and chicken mixture.
3) In medium saucepan, heat the rice bran oil to 180C; the oil needs to be deep enough to keep the spring roll from touching the bottom of the pan. Add more oil, if needed.
4) To roll, lay out a spring roll wrapper with one corner facing you. Place approximately 1/12 of the mixture on the wrapper and place 2 pieces of avocado on top. Fold the front corner over the mixture, and then fold the outside corners over the mixture, making a roll, 10 to 12cm wide. Roll firmly, being careful not to tear the wrapper, and seal the final edge with egg wash.
5) Dredge the spring roll in the egg wash, allow the excess to drain off. Submerge the spring roll in oil and fry until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Drain on a sheet tray fitted with a cooling rack.
6) Roll and cook the remaining spring rolls. Serve immediately with sweet chilli sauce.